TV pe Breaking News , Haaye re mera Ghagra – Madhuri Dixit.
As said by Anushka Sharma in “Band Baaja Baraat” – ” Reception ho ya inflation … shadiyaan toh honi hai ” and what is our biggest stress when we hear that our bestie’s wedding dates are fixed ? – “What Do I Wear ?!?!? ” And this question is all the more stressful if you are a part of the Big Girl’s Club. Yeah !!! It feels like designers think that only thin girls go to weddings . ” Haan , Humein toh Shaadiyon mein koi invite hi nahi karta…All that 1500 per plate wala khana is for girls who don’t even eat na ?”
Like what even ?!?!
But don’t you worry my loves, I am here to help you out with all your shaadi attire woes.
I , just like you , have time and again faced the same problems of not finding good , trendy , wearable wedding wear in my size and hence I started my own label – #TheChubbyTwirler .
I am going to do a series of blogs on different Indian wedding attire staples, all designed by my brand , to help you decide what to wear from Roka to Reception !
This first part is all about my most favourite – the LEHENGA .
1. Indian weddings equals lots of dancing around equals tons of madness and ergo no time for handling the dupatta business . So if you are the kind that does not want the drama of taking care of that dupatta that gets caught everywhere ( except with that cute guys watch…hmph ! :- | ) , then this style you will love .
Say hello to the Fancy Jacket ! Jackets on lehengas look super cool and are so easy to manage . Dance away my love and never worry about that extra fabric flying around while you’re at it. 😉
2. Women often tell me that they shy away from wearing lehengas as they feel uncomfortable wearing the small cholis and showing their stomachs and that the waist length blouses makes them look unstylish or adds more layers to the body but trust me when I say this , it all depends on the right length of the blouse and the fit of the lehenga. A good designer can make you look like a million bucks no matter what size.
And that brings me to my next lehenga look , the off shoulder blouse lehenga. Unless you’ve been living under a rock this past year , you know that off the shoulders and cold shoulders have taken over the western market . So why should the Indian market stay behind ? (BTW off the shoulder saree blouses and Kurtas were all the rage in the mid 60’s.) Making the waist length blouse stylish with an off the shoulder neckline , below is one of my most favourite designs.
3. Another blouse design that focuses more on the glam and less on the waistline is the Peplum Blouse Lehenga. Peplums made their way into the western market few years back but they have long existed in the south of India as box pleat blouses on small girls’ langas a.k.a pavada.
What’s a shaadi without some glitz and glam ?!?! Here I have muted the neon pink and yellow with a silver sequins peplum blouse. Perfect for that Sangeet Night !!!
4. Now that we are done addressing your fears on unstylish long choli’s , let’s deal with the short choli issues ! I get it , you feel uncomfortable showing off your kamariya but sista there are ways … All you gotta do when you wear a short choli lehenga is drape the dupatta like a saree pallu . You will be sealed from all sides. 😉
Below I am wearing a Kanjivaram half saree designed by my brand which is essentially a lehenga + choli + dupatta.
5. This trend has evolved from the lacha , it is the most comfortable yet graceful way of wearing the lehenga and it looks fab on every size ! The Long Kurta lehenga design …
My design below is minimalistic and pastel . I have combined two of last year’s Pantone colours of the year – Rose Quartz and Serenity .
I hope this look book inspires you to go all out and dress up and look glam for your next set of weddings ….’cause casual is not the way we do it here in India .
To get your own custom made Indian attire , you can contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org or by filling out your details on the contact page of the blog.
I shall come up with my next Indian attire look book soon .
Until then ,
Bye my loves ,